Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A Proverb a Day...

I decided I want to write about the Proverb of the day for at least one month.  Last year I was really good about reading a Proverb from the bible every day.  There are 31 Proverbs and, wouldn't you know, the longest month has 31 days!  So today is the 29th so I'm just going to start there.

I just love how Proverbs gives so many short examples of how we all can fall short so easily.  We all have it in us to do the easy thing and to be selfish and foolish, but with the help of God we can make wise decisions and have more concern for the well being of others than ourselves.



Proverbs 29
In this chapter there are 2 verses that really stick out to me.  The first is Proverbs 29:11  - A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control.  - I love this because when I'm angry I know how quickly I can turn into a terror.  In the moment I'm thinking "I just need to vent... get it off my chest... even hurt someone back who hurt me..."  It's just easier to yell!  But a wise person will have control.  That is who I want to be. Anyone can yell and give full vent to their anger.  But few can perform control, especially in the midst of chaos.  I don't want to be remembered as a foolish, typical person, but as a wise, loving, person.
The second is Proverbs 29:23  - A man's pride brings him low, but a man of lowly spirit gains honor.  This one pretty much speaks for itself.  How many times do I feel like I "deserve" things?  All the time!  I can definitely let my pride feed my heart and my mind and get the best of me at times.  It is when I'm humble that I notice the bigger results.  This is especially true in marriage!  I don't know very many husbands or wives who are okay with their spouse demanding of them because they "deserve" it.  It's in those humble moments of putting our pride aside and giving to the other that reap the most rewards.

No comments:

Post a Comment